Proud to be British Manufacturers
IPL (intense pulsed light) uses selective phototermolysis (light energy, converted to heat, to disintegrate a target) in the terms of hair removal we are aiming to cauterise the blood supply to the targeted, unwanted hair. In order to get the best results while minimising down time post treatment, here are the main rules to follow while undertaking your treatments.
- Be honest during your consultation, it’s for your safety and a little white lie could even prevent you from getting the best hair reduction possible.
- Avoid tanning (natural, sunbeds and fake tan) prior to, in between and following your IPL treatments. Having a tan can attract the light to your skin, rather than the hair, causing discomfort or even a burn. If sun exposure is unavoidable, Use an SPF 30+, cover up your treatment area where possible and seek shade during the midday hours.
- Shave the hairs that you’re having treated 12 to 24 hours before the treatment. Shaved hair will absorb the light more effectively and give the IPL a move direct route to the root, meaning better, faster results.
- Follow aftercare, keep your skin free of perfumed products, deodorants and makeup before and after your treatment (m
akeupcan be removed at your appointment.) Products could irritate your skin post treatment. 12-24 hours is usually ample time, so be sure to treat your skin with care. Only use mild products and avoid hot baths, showers or heat treatments such as saunas for 24-48 hours.
- Update your medical record. Have a new prescription? Let your IPL practitioner know they may need to made some adaptations to your treatment.
- Stick to your treatment plan, if you are advised to have treatment every 4 weeks, take them every 4 weeks. Leaving longer intervals than recommended could lead to slower results and taking treatments too close together will not give you a better result.
- Keep progress photos, it’s a great way to see how well your hair removal journey is going!
- Ask questions, if you are unsure of anything or have any concerns your IPL practitioner will be happy to help.
- Expose your skin to the sun in between treatments and for at least 4 weeks pre and post IPL ( If sun exposure is unavoidable, Use a SPF 30+, cover up your treatment area where possible and seek shade during the midday hours.)
- Wax, pluck, bleach or use depilatory creams on the treatment area between sessions. They will alter your hair growth cycle/ hairs ability to
absoblight, leading to inferior results.
- Expose your skin to direct heat directly before or after treatments, this includes hot showers/ baths and heated seats in your car!
- Wear tight clothing to your appointment, it could irritate an area that has been treated.
- Shave for 72 hours post treatment.
- Have peel treatments, microdermabrasion or other heavy exfoliation for a week pre and post treatment.
- Use fake tan for at least two weeks prior to your IPL treatment, your skin should be free of any tanning product before IPL.